Union St Printmakers sells many of the basic materials you might need for printmaking, including pre-assembled print packs and gift vouchers (see below).
General public and students can purchase/order printmaking materials through Simone - always by appointment - no drop ins please. You can arrange this by email (email@example.com) or text (0407 079 604).
If what you need isn’t in stock, she will do her best to source it for you within 1-2 weeks.
Art Shop opening hours: only during class/workshop times (updated daily).
Please note: Union St Printmakers is closed to the public outside these times as Simone is not present.
Sat 17 August, 11am-4pm only @ the portable Stepney studio (please text for details)
Mon 19 August, 12pm-9pm only @ 6 Manton St Hindmarsh
Sat 31 August, 11am-4pm only @ the portable Stepney studio (please text for details)
Sun 1 September, 11am-4pm only only @ 6 Manton St Hindmarsh
Mon 2 September, 12pm-9pm only @ 6 Manton St Hindmarsh
Tues 3 September, 11am-4pm only only @ 6 Manton St Hindmarsh
Sat 7 September, 11am-4pm only @ the portable Stepney studio (please text for details)
Sun 8 September, 11am-4pm only only @ 6 Manton St Hindmarsh
Mon 9 September, 12pm-9pm only @ 6 Manton St Hindmarsh
Tues 10 September, 11am-4pm only only @ 6 Manton St Hindmarsh
Sat 14 September, 11am-4pm only @ the portable Stepney studio (please text for details)
Best to text/email a day or so in advance to avoid disappointment. (Occasionally Simone works from other venues. And times/dates always vary during March due to arts festivals.)
Discounts available for UStP/S&Q students & anyone who has purchased an Enjay press through her.
Bulk specialist printmaking paper best purchased in the twice-yearly paper sales from Melbourne Etching Supplies - the next sale is November 2019. (If you are working to a deadline, do ask about delivery times. MES paper sale deliveries are sent out on a first-in-first-served basis.)
Currently in stock: (updated daily)
- current issue: Winter 2019 (vol 54 issue 2) & Autumn 2019 (vol 54 issue 1)
- past issues
- cardboard drypoint plate
- 2mm acrylic drypoint plate
- various sizes copper plate (~A5 size in stock, other sizes available by order)
- various sizes aluminium plate (A5 & A6 sizes)
- drypoint etching tools & scraper/burnisher tools
- 42% ferric chloride (2.5L) - new stock arriving this week
- hard ground knobs & soft ground knobs
Intaglio inks & modifiers
- Akua intaglio inks - Carbon Black, Titanium White, Paynes Grey, Crimson Red, Scarlet Red, Red Oxide, Van Dyke Brown, Raw Umber, Yellow Ochre, Hansa Yellow, Metallic Gold, Metallic Silver, Ultramarine Blue, Phthalo Blue, Phthalo Green, Oxide Green
- Graphic Chemicals intaglio black ink - other colours available by order (1 week turnaround)
- Gamblin magnesium carbonate
- Gamblin burnt plate oil #2 - new stock arriving this week
Western intaglio papers
- Somerset Velvet Newsprint Grey 280gsm ~56x76x112cm (100% cotton, acid-free) - in stock
- Somerset Satin White 300gsm ~56x76cm (100% cotton, acid-free)- new stock arriving next month
- Stonehenge Warm White & Pearl Grey 250gsm ~50x70cm (100% cotton, acid-free) - in stock
- Stonehenge White 250gsm ~50x70cm (100% cotton, acid-free) - unavailable until end-July
- Stonehenge Pale Blue & Natural 250gsm ~50x70cm (100% cotton, acid-free) - new stock arriving this week
- Fabriano Rosaspina Ivory & Warm White 285gsm ~50x70cm (high % cotton) - new stock arriving this week
- Fabriano studio watercolour pads 200gsm, 9x 12" (23x~30cm) top glued and tape bound pads of 75 sheets, smooth hot press (high % cotton) - unavailable until end-September
- various lino/woodcut tool sets
- various sizes of linoleum (12x12cm, 15x15cm, 10x15cm, 30x45cm)
- Ezy Carve rubber (21x29cm)
- basic small rollers (Speedball 2” soft, Essdee 2” hard)
- Essdee 3 in 1 lino cutter + stamp kits
- Derivan block ink lino printing starters kit
Relief inks & modifiers
- Gamblin oil-based relief inks
S1-Portland Intense Black, Transparent Base, Titanium White
S2-Quinacridone Red, Sepia, Prussian Blue
S3-Phthalo Blue, Phthalo Green, Hansa Yellow Bright, Napthol Scarlet
- Gamblin Drive By Black (a specialist black textile fabric block ink)
- Caligo Safewash black relief ink (water wash up)
- Gamblin tack reducer
- Gamblin burnt plate oil #000
Mokuhanga (Japanese woodblock) tools/materials
- quality Japanese shina blocks (small 225x150mm in stock, medium/large on order)
- good quality Japanese cherry blocks (small 100x150mm & 150x200mm in stock)
- various good quality student tool sets
- left handed professional tool
- quality student plastic barens
- Japanese red carbon paper
Relief & mokuhanga paper
- Various coloured mulberry papers 25gsm (31 colours, 50x70cm, 100% mulberry)
- Awagami Creative Washi Packs - new stock arriving this week
- Panshian (63x97cm, machine made, high Kozo content, internally sized, lustrous)
- Richeson rice paper roll (15”x50’) - new stock arriving this week
- Somerset book paper - Text Laid 120gsm (white, 66x102cm, 100% cotton, acid-free)
- Somerset book paper - Book 115gsm (white, 66x102cm, 100% cotton, acid-free)
- Somerset book paper - Book Soft White 115gsm (white, 66x102cm, 100% cotton, acid-free)
Screenprinting equipment/materials - all in stock
- Mirakami TZR UV emulsion & Photocoate stripper
- aluminium screens (16x22" internal dimensions)
- squeegees (6”, 7”, 8’, 10’)
- sets of screen hinge clamps
- Speedball Drawing Fluid, Screen Filler & Speed Clean
- Permaset Aqua inks (300ml) - black, white & red (other colours available by order)
Waterless Lithography materials
- Staedtler Lumocolour Omnichrom non-permanent black pencils
Mount/mat cutting materials
- Minuet Arquadia matboard (warm white 32x40"/81.5x102.5cm)
- Nachi 745 double-sided tape (acid free, 12mm x 50m, very strong)
Specialist cleaning materials
- ZIG Mica ink (60ml, for pen/brush use) - Brilliant Gold & Brilliant Silver
- Koi watercolour blocks & water brushes
- Richeson semi-moist tempera blocks
- Zig water brushes
- cradled timber panel (basswood 8x10” made from high quality 3mm thick Basswood plywood panel sanded to render a smooth firm painting surface)
Available for order (approx 1-2 week turn around):
Logan #424 team system mat cutting kit (mat cutter #2000 & adapt-a-rule #524)
Gelli plates - various sizes - unavailable until early-August
Coloured intaglio inks - Akua water wash up & Gamblin oil-based
Intaglio papers (Somerset, Stonehenge, Fabriano, etc)
Oriental and Japanese papers for relief printing and chine colle
Derwent Inktense pencils & watercolour blocks
And much, much more - please email Simone, and she will put the wheels in motion to obtain it for you :)
Please note: purchases and/or orders must be organised with Simone in advance, preferably during class/workshop times or by text/email. There is no online shop yet (coming soon) and Stone & Quoin Studio is not open to the public unless you’ve made an appointment :)
Rather, Simone stocks all the printmaking basics (available for purchase by the general public and students during the hours she teaches classes/workshops) and regularly lodges orders, as needed.
UV Screen Exposures
Now available, yay!
Transparencies up to A3 in size. (A3 is ~30 x 42cm)
1-2 week turnaround.
Please email Simone to arrange. (No drop ins thank you.)
Exposed with the Leapfrog Studente system from above the screen, meaning artwork should be reversed for best results. Murakami Photocure TXR pink emulsion.
For exposing transperancies larger than A3, on to screens up to 60 x 70cm (outer dimensions), please contact Norwood Screenprinters on 8363 3925.
Beginners / Startup Print Packs
To order a Beginners / Startup Printmaking Pack for yourself or as a gift for someone else, please email Simone..
Coming soon:- Beginners Lino Pack, Beginners Monoprinting Pack, Beginners Drypoint and Monoprinting Pack.
And all the details:
Each pack enables you to set up and print 3 different plates in an intaglio cylinder press, creating up to 18 prints. Most importantly, each pack provides clear instructions on how to make a print, where to source affordable future materials (both new and recycled) and further information to help you to extend your skills. (The pack contains enough ink for many more than 18 prints.)
For use in a cylinder or etching press with felts/blankets.
With advance notice, multiple or bulk packs are available for workshop and school environments.
This pack enables you to stock your classroom to print 18 plates in an intaglio cylinder press, creating up to 72 prints. Most importantly, each pack provides clear instructions on how to make a print, where to source affordable future materials (both new and recycled) and further information to help you to extend your skills. (The pack contains enough ink for many more than 72 prints.)
For use in a cylinder or etching press with felts/blankets.
With advance notice, multiple or larger packs are available for workshop and school environments.